Wednesday, September 5, 2007

price isn't everything

In the world of "Customer No Service" Walmart in my opinion takes the cake. When visiting this fine establishment I know that I can find pretty much whatever I need. Groceries, check. Baby stuff, check. Shoes, check. Shampoo, check. Scrapbooking stuff, check. Need an oil change, check. Check, check, check. They seem to have it all...seem being the word.

The one thing they seem to be lacking is customer service. You may find the occasional happy employee who greets you with a smile or a cashier who carries on a converstaion while checking you out, but you need help finding something...you're lucky if they will even point you in the right direction. Need help to your car....forget about it!

I admit I still shop there mainly because it's a one stop shop, I can get the oil changed in the van, pick up some clothes for the kids, some books to read, and a few groceries all while I wait. The family and I can spend hours in there just roaming the aisles looking for things we need and many that we don't. Even with this entertainment factor I find I don't really enjoy going there. I don't enjoy dealing with the crowds and I don't enjoy having to walk miles just to pick up some groceries. So often I find myself heading to the local Food Lion.

Why you ask, when I could be saving money by going to Walmart. The answer is simple. I can get what I want and get great customer service. Not every visit is wonderful but more often than not I find myself pleased that I chose to go there instead of the dreaded Wally World.

Take today for example. Wee one had a doctor's appointment so I decided to pop in for few groceries afterwards. I was in and out within 35 minutes. I was greeted by 3 employees while there and once I checked out I was helped out to the car with the buggy since I had the stroller.

Sometimes paying a little more isn't so bad. How many places can you go where they are willing to bring your purchases to the car for you....and even unload them for you. Maybe I find this so wonderful because shopping with 3 kids is difficult. It's a fight to get in and out without wanting to strangle someone. I feel like the traveling circus. I arrive with Wee one in the carrier and a child holding each hand. I spend my time fussing at the girls to stop grabbing items off the shelf. I plead with them to please stop rolling around on the floor. I spend time begging them to please stop yelling, and eventually scold them for not listening and fighting.

When it comes to checking out I look like I'm stocking up for the next world war. Since shopping with children isn't my favorite past time I buy in bulk, and buy in hopes to last several weeks. When it comes time to leave the girls are eyeing the candy, begging for everything under the sun, and I'm left with 3 kids, and an overloaded buggy.

How would you get to the car? Let's see, wee one in the carrier, girls holding my hands...now how exactly do I get this overloaded cart to the van???? I shop at Food Lion and they push it out for me...and will even load the car with my purchases while I load the children.

Yep, doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: