Friday, September 14, 2007

fun house mirrors of exercise

I should be exercising....yeah probably right now, instead of writing this wonderful post. It sure would do more wonders for my mid-section than typing seems to do. I'm just not extremely motivated these days.

Sure, occasionally I find myself out running around playing with the girls. We might even take a bike ride together or play soccer. But...in the end I'm not pushing myself... by myself. I have huge goals. Whoa, let me tell you. I wanted to do a half marathon this coming year...and my inability to push myself seems like that will get pushed back another year. I'd love to to do a triathlon....that will have to wait as well.

Part of the problem is that carrying only one child this time around was much easier so I'm not as motivated. I didn't gain as much weight as when I had the twins. I know your astonished. Even with that astonishment I know this extra weight isn't just going to disappear one morning. Although wouldn't that be great. Awake, look in the mirror and suddenly your a size 6...wow, how exciting.

Another problem is my breasts....yes, here we go again. I have large breasts. I've said it before and I'll probably be saying it my entire life. With these large partners around it makes running almost impossible, for fear of putting an eye out or worse breaking my back in two.

Sports bras either are so tight they hurt or so loose they are pointless. So running while I'm breastfeeding doesn't seem to be the best option.

I've found I enjoy bike riding, especially with the girls. The only problem there is that before we even hit 1/2 mile Erin is whining about wanting to go home. So they aren't up for 3 to 7 mile rides. However, maybe there is a way to make this bike ridding happen.

Early morning person I am not, and riding while my breasts are so full (since wee one is sleeping through nights) I might topple over... doesn't seem the brightest idea so maybe late evening rides are the answer. I could feed everyone dinner, put husband and children to play and head out. Get my ride in before wee one takes his last feeding and before the girls go to bed.

I may not ride each day and lord knows that my rear will be sore for days from those freakin' bike seats. By the way, who invented those stupid terribly uncomfortable seats???? Whoever it was deserves a smack because those things are awful.

Anyways, I may not be able to do all that I wish because exercising around 3 children (one an infant) and a husband who's trying to get his MBA doesn't allow for much spare time but I think I can make this work. Throw on my i-pod, prepare for the bum aches and hit the road. If nothing else I might just begin to feel better and sometimes that's way more important than loosing a few pounds.


How do you get your exercise on with kids? Share your story and you might just win a pair of really cool shoes by Ryka. Details here. Who knows maybe you will inspire another mom to get out there and get moving...or maybe you will inspire yourself, plus free shoes are always great.

No comments: