Wednesday, September 26, 2007

cutting the fat

We are attempting to cut out the fat. No we aren't having plastic surgery although my mid-section could use a little tuck. Oh okay, it could use a big tuck. Don't judge, you try having twins with no personal trainer to help out after the kidlens arrive.

Anyway, we are attempting to cut back on expenses. If this move does end up happening we would like to be in a better place financially. If the move doesn't happen, we would like to be in a better place financially.

So we have started today. Husband called this morning and cut back the cable. I'm sure this was bittersweet for him considering ESPN will now be missed and I know this wasn't much fun for me since TV has been my main source of entertainment once children are in bed. Regardless, sometimes you have to do without for things you desire.

Along with cutting back on cable I am making an effort to cut back on the air conditioning I use each day. Usually I end up cooling the house an additional 2 or 3 degrees during the day but am trying to keep the temp set and see the big picture. I won't be sweating, stinking up the house but I will be padding my pockets once that electricity bill comes.

We have installed energy saving light bulbs. The bulbs have been in for at least a year. We read somewhere that if every home would replace something life 5 bulbs with these energy saving bulbs they could shut down at least one power plant. Don't' know if it's true but I do know our electricity bill dropped after installing them.

We are setting a strict budget for outings and groceries. Basically, it's making sure the right hand knows what the left hand is doing type of stuff.

Normally, Sean simply trusts me to make sure the bills are paid and that as far as expenses go that I will take care of it. I don't mind this but in order for us to take responsibility for a future goals we both need to know what the other is doing so we keep from spending $18.85 for dinner at McD's simply because we didn't feel like cooking.

With 2 toddlers (at what point do toddlers become children?), a baby, and two adults, food costs can quickly get out of control. Each child wants a different snack and desires different items for dinner or lunch, the parents want different snacks and easily fall victim to cravings leading to unnecessary food purchases.

So we are attacking this whole food thing from the aspect of planning. We are going to start planning the weekly meals and only purchasing items needed for those meals and snacks. Set a budget for those items each week and stick to it. If you go over...something must go back.

Sure, this may not be the most fun thing we could do but I guarantee when time rolls around and we have some extra money to help with the purchase of a new home, car, or medical expenses we will be glad we agreed to do this.

Now, that I've said all this...does anyone know how to cook? I think I might need some lessons. I suppose Foodnetwork.com will become my new best friend so I can have some help planning those meals.

How do you budget? What are your techniques for saving money? Any advice to share??? I'm all ears.

No comments: