Monday, October 1, 2007

she works for peace

This weekend wee one and I spent our days involved in Parish Social Ministry Training. It was a weekend full of strangers (well strangers in the sense that I have never met them before but not really strangers because you instantly feel like you know them kind of thing) and important information. It was in a sense a reawakening that because I am a mother there are other things I want and feel compelled to do.

A little less than 4 years ago I decided I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I knew that I felt a great desire to help others. I wasn't exactly sure in what capacity, but I knew that helping was it. I thought about being a school counselor, I thought about being a family counselor, I thought about all kinds of things but it was only after meeting one very special lady that I truly understood what it was I felt I was suppose to do.

Before actually getting to know this lady I saw her as this extremely busy, hand in every pot, crazed church lady. I remember seeing her practically run around church talking to everyone and basically getting everyone going. Now, that I know Kathy I see that she is indeed extremely busy and usually has her hand in several pots....and on occasion is a little crazed while working but she is much more, so much more. What does she do you may ask, well actually telling you everything she does would take days... but in short, she finds ways to help others and help our parish. She feeds the hungry, helps the poor, the elderly, the displaced, those in need. She helps and supports life.

She embodies such positive energy and faith that she makes any task seem possible. She welcomed me, a goofy, confused, recent college grad, and insane mother of 2 into her midst and attempted to educate me on what she did and how I could help.

I still don't know how she gets all done that she does and find enough hours in the day to help so many. However, if you asked her, she would simply say, " I ask". As simple as it sounds it works for her. When she needs others to help, she asks and more often than not they lend a hand. If they can't help this time, she catches them the next go around. With her ability to simply ask she gets the help she needs and thus helps as many as possible. I wonder if she knows that by letting me help she in turn helped me.

After I became pregnant with wee one I found it more and more difficult to put in my very few hours at the church. She being understanding told me to rest. Since Michael was born my free time is even more difficult to come by and yet she understands and still invites me to meetings and attempts to keep me involved.

This weekend was just that, a chance to get involved in something. So with wee one at my side I made the drive up to spend the weekend with Kathy, several other ladies from our parish, and around 145 other people from different places.

I spent the weekend learning and engaged in conversation about the sanctity of life, in all its forms. Regardless of the topic it all came back to respecting life. I learned about immigration, peace vs. war, globalization, poverty, and about "building a culture of life".

I learned so many things this past weekend and I'm sure that as the weeks pass I will share many of them but I just wanted to take today and thank Kathy for allowing my eyes to be opened and for allowing me to follow her around. She has done this by just being who she is....an amazing woman who's willingness to help knows no bounds.

I hope that in the months to come I am able to continue to learn from her... and always call her friend. She has much wisdom to offer and one of the most caring and compassionate hearts I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Thank you for sharing your gifts and for allowing this crazed mother so many opportunities. It has and will continue to be greatly appriciated.

So in the words I often hear Kathy say, "Work for peace".

No comments: