Tuesday, October 23, 2007

there's nothing like pizza to help you see clearly

Yesterday we had our very first house showing. We received a phone call early afternoon that they wanted to see the house between 3pm and 4pm. So I let the girls finish their nap and by 2:30 we were all showered, dressed, and off to have a late lunch. The girls chose Pizza Hut as our destination and husband and I braced ourselves for the craziness that is eating out.

Much to our amazement....the trip out was rather wonderful. Michael was ready for his nap so he quickly fell asleep in his stroller leaving those of us remaining to eat in peace. The table was equipped with some type of game cards which we used to entertain ourselves until food arrived.

With each course (first salad, then breadsticks, then cinnamon sticks, then finally pizza) we found out what each of our favorites were. Erin for the day chose 1, pink, cat, and Super Why as her favorites. Ireland went with 5, blue, zebra, and Super Why as her favorites. Husband and I were only asked about our favorite color and number but it all amounted to a lot of fun.

Granted it helped that the restaurant was basically empty and the bathroom was close enough that after taking the girls once they and I felt comfortable enough letting them venture on their own the remaining of the stay. I of course sat and watched and waited the entire time they were away just in case someone else entered the bathroom or if they happened to take too long so I could spring into action.

Even though husband wasn't feeling well it was a wonderful experience. One that left me thinking that maybe we will become the family I dream about. You know the family who seems like they actually enjoy being around each other and can have conversations without someone loosing a limb.

My aspirations aren't very high, I know my children will at some point express their utter hatred of me and my parenting. I know they will choose a different path then which I would wish, or they will act in a manner in which I deem inappropriate, but at least I know that for this day we could sit, enjoy a meal, and appreciate each other.

The only down side to the day was returning home only to find the viewers still in our home, talking. We were faced with the stark reality that our home is slowly becoming someone else's and less and less ours. The girls immediately brought to tears by the fact their swing set may become someone else's.

Good day but a dose of reality that our lives will be changing dramatically very soon.

No comments: