Monday, December 17, 2007

to celebrate or not...that is the question...but then again how should you celebrate?

Today is my 26th birthday. Certainly not any special milestone but a birthday none the less.

Yet, it seems that as one gets older celebrating the birthday becomes less and less desirable. I have always disliked this tendency. I think birthdays are a great cause for celebration because I find it rather amazing that any of us were born.

Against many people's understanding I really try to celebrate my children's birthday. I try to make the day very special for them because I'm overjoyed that they were born. I find it a great blessing that they entered my life.

Our birthday is the one day in which we are allowed to celebrate ourselves and how far we have come. However, birthday's aren't so great when you seem to be the only one celebrating. Too often those around us don't celebrate...and sometimes don't even remember the reason for celebration.

So is it okay to expect others to celebrate you on your birthday? Or...is that simply being selfish and self absorbed? I don't think I have come to a resolution on this one. I can understand how the day gets lost between the many responsibilities we carry. I'm just not sure if it is stretching it to expect those closest to you to remember and celebrate with you.

I suppose the problem with that is you have an expectation and usually with those come disappointments.

Today I'm honestly not doing much celebrating...husband and I will venture out without children this evening for a meal and a little shopping but that will be it.

I'm looking forward to this quality time with him because it is something we rarely have anymore. It may not be a celebration really but it is time in which my husband will take the evening and do pretty much anything I want....I get to choose the restaurant....choose what we do and I suppose in it's own right that is a celebration.

Maybe the answer is that the celebrating we do as an adult must become one of small happenings because the older we get the more important the small things seem to become.

No comments: