Wednesday, April 2, 2008

no school, teething out the rear, and a broken chair to tie it all up

Currently I'm up to my ears in children. I was hoping the girls would be able to finish the school year in preschool (only half a day 5 days a week....would get them ready for the big start next school year.) but it seems that will only be a dream.

The school called yesterday to inform me that since they hadn't been in a school this year they didn't want them. She then quickly pushed daycare. I being at my wits end and just wanting something positive for my children informed her that no I was capable of caring for my children...they and I wanted school.

"But the daycare teaches letters and numbers," she insisted. I felt the need to point out that my children were doing very well with that...I wanted them to be able to progress...you know be more ready for next year.

I realize that she is making a judgement call but seriously she dismissed my children without even meeting them. Granted they may not be as prepared as other kids in the pre-school but then again they might already be ahead....she's never met them so how would she know?

So, now I'm back at square one with three children, the only caregiver, and a house that is in need of attention if I can just find time away from the needy said children.

Michael is massively clingy right now. He currently has three (yes that's right 3...at one time no less) teeth coming in so he is slobbering all over everything. He's pooping all the time and his nose is running a marathon. He doesn't seem to want me out of his sight much less doing anything but holding and comforting. I understand because cutting 3 teeth at once is enough to make my mouth hurt but I've got things that must must must get done.

Also, to make life more interesting I had a visit from a couple of friends (mother daughter pair) who wanted to surprise me with a visit. The surprise was indeed on me. Within 30 minutes of their visit the pregnant daughter sat on the arm of my chair and it broke.

This was dealt with the mother laughing and saying, "ah it's new you can return it."

Me, trying desperately to be nice and patient I kept my mouth closed. I wanted to scream because it isn't like I don't have enough on my plate without having to attempt to find a way to return a damaged chair. It isn't like I have a truck to return it plus the chair won't exactly fit in the van with 3 children inside.

I don't mind returning it, but to have the mom laugh it off as if it doesn't matter really hurt my feelings and made me angry. Breaking peoples things is never good but to act like it doesn't matter makes the situation worse.

When I visit some one's home and I or my wild children break something I offer to fix it or replace it at least.

I'm just frustrated because when something like this happens and you are dealing with friends how are you suppose to react? How should the situation be handled? Am I being silly or am I within my right to be irritated by the lack of respect for my home and possessions within said home?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, I have great admiration for what you do. You are a wonderful mommie. Loved your story and friend or no friend sometimes you have to be honest with people about how you feel. If someone doesn't have sense enough to respect your property then you teach them some sense.