Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the passing of a single year


Today marks the one year anniversary of the shootings at Virginia Tech. Today I have found myself wondering about the students attending there...those that were there last year and those that are gone.

How much difference does a year make? Are there still students afraid...struggling to deal with the terrible happenings? Do they still find the panic that set in that memorable day? Can one year truly change someone, can you truly move on within a single year?

Today, I drove by this beautiful campus...today I saw the countless cars parked attending the memorials of the day. I saw the lights shinning bright over Lane Stadium. I found myself unable to forget the fear I felt one year ago. I found myself hoping that one year can make a difference and that within a single year the school is recovering...has recovered.

I have found that through all my cynicism and sarcasm I can still be rather idealistic. Perhaps the thought of a single year healing those affected is silly and simplistic. Perhaps I'm a little of both.

While I'm sure there are still struggles, may the sadness we feel reflecting upon that day and the heartache that is felt for those that lost their lives not be lost...may we use it in a way that makes us stronger and more willing to help our neighbors.
"Today, we are all Hokies."

No comments: