Thursday, February 21, 2008

road trip


I have now lived in WV for 3 weeks. To say this transition has been easy would be the understatement of the year. I’ve changed homes, changed surroundings, and taken up parenting solo.

While I know (at least I hope I do) that once husband is able to make the move as well things will be better, easier, and hopefully more enjoyable I’m left wondering how long before I really feel at home?

I love the new house, the extra space is wonderful. The snow and cold weather….I could live without. Regardless, this is home and being able to spend time with family has been a wonderful addition to our lives.

I’ve started playing scrabble at least once a week with my aunt. I have daily visits (usually) from my closest friend and am able to spend time with my mother just about any time I wish.

Even with all this visiting the house still feels empty and less lively than it should. The only way to remedy this situation is to have husband here with us and since that can’t happen just yet I believe it’s time for a beach trip. It has been almost a month since I’ve heard the waves beat against the shore or watched the sun disappear behind the sand and water. It’s been almost a month since husband has been able to hug on the kids or me for that matter.

Yep, time for a beach trip. Honestly, is there anything better? Maybe…just maybe the weather will be wonderful and my beach bum babies can run along the shoreline and collect shells to bring back with us since you know…now I’ll be one of those terrible dreaded tourists. We leave next week!

And just a few quotes I’ve been reading:

You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. ~Polish Proverb

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

Kids spell love T-I-M-E. ~John Crudele

If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others. ~Haim Ginott

What a child doesn't receive he can seldom later give. ~P.D. James, Time to Be in Earnest

I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.~ Sigmund Freud

It is a wise father that knows his own child.
~William Shakespeare

No comments: