Thursday, March 6, 2008

an afternoon to remember

Have you ever experienced true wonder through the eyes of your child? Several days ago I ventured to the beach with all 3 kids for an afternoon of all things sand (hoping that I would get a moment to just sit and stare at the ocean....cause it apparently calms me more than anything else I've found).

Upon sitting wee one down he was filled with an incredible urge to explore. His eyes and hands first found the sand. He sat amazed by how it ran through his little hands. He picked it up, let it run through his hands, picked it up again, and finally attempted to throw some.

Then, very suddenly he looked up. It was as if everything else on this big world vanished. He saw it...the ocean. His eyes filled with what I can only call wonder and off he went...heading for the water at break neck speed.

It isn't like he hasn't seen it before...he spent most of the summer visiting with a couple visits this fall and winter. I suppose though that he wasn't old enough to truly be intrigued. This time however, he saw it...in all it's glory.

He crawled the fastest I've ever seen him move. Without distraction he made it so close before I grabbed him up because well cold wet babies mixed with sand is never really a fun idea.

Slowly I carried him back to where the girls sat playing. He never took his eyes off the water. He was enamored. The moment I sat him down off he went again. He did this three times before settling on sitting and simply watching it.

After a good 30 minutes he finally gave in to his sisters and began to demolish their buildings, finding great joy in manipulating the sand with his tiny fingers.

I must admit that his instant love with this small piece of the world filled me with great joy and great sadness. I was taking this away from him. He had just discovered its grandeur and amazement and here I would be pulling him back to WV.

We still have three weeks before we make the trek back to the mountains but I still feel very sad knowing that I will be leaving this special place that I love so much. I could easily be one of those hermits who live in a tent on the beach...well at least until summer was in full swing.

To see my son so mystified by this place only served to make me feel even more connected to him. Maybe, regardless of where we live my children will be beach bum babies. Maybe, someday we will live here again...in a world of swimsuits, sand, and that sweet ocean air.

Until then, moments like these will fill my thoughts giving me a peace I can't even begin to describe.

Plus, it isn't like living in WV is so bad...this spring will be filled with little girls learning soccer, hiking, and some wonderful family....and who knows maybe a beach visit or two.

(I tried several times to upload pictures from our outing but for some reason the computer won't allow me to upload.) Maybe later, I'll find a way...check back for photos.)

No comments: