Friday, March 7, 2008

from story pusher to soccer mom...all in one day

I have 3 children...each with their own attitude, personality, and thrill for life. They each have a different way of taking in the world around them. All 3 with something to add to this world...but, what do I have to add to their life? What is it that I can share with them to incorporate a little of what it is that I love from life?

Currently, I share my love of reading. This love I've had since 3rd grade and well I still find myself buried in a book given the chance. Nothing beats a book that pulls at your emotions and leaves you excited to find what happens upon the following pages.

Each evening we read a portion of a book while sharing short stories from books throughout the day. Given that the girls and wee one seem to be in constant play mode getting them to sit still and listen while reading is very difficult. I'm never sure of their comprehension, but the way I look at it is that I'm laying building blocks. I'm offering them something a television or toy can not...I'm offering them a chance to explore the world through words without ever leaving the room. I'm offering them the ability to sit and be present in the moment...a chance to be quiet, patient, and open to possibility... anticipating the next page.

Finding ways to encourage reading is fairly simple. Last year for the girls' 4th birthday they began receiving Hi-5 as one of their gifts. For Christmas they received books along side their other treasures. For Easter this year they will get books for night reading and leapPad books so they can continue learning and hopefully learn how to read some on their own.

Wee one may be a little too small to appreciate a good book but he sure does seem to enjoy being read to and exploring the pictures upon the pages.

Reading isn't my only love however...which is why the girls are starting soccer this year and hopefully will enter ballet this fall. I want my children to enjoy a good book in between loving all things athletic...well maybe not all things but I want them to enjoy staying active.

So for this soccer mom...I'm going to continue pushing a few books my children's way and hope that eventually they learn what an incredible gift reading can be. Who knows, they might even find a favorite along the way.

No comments: