Monday, July 7, 2008

beaching it baby

I'm currently beaching it up. I'm a visitor, a tourist, and I must admit that while this wonderful place still feels like home its extremely awkward knowing I'm just a tourist now.

When spending a day at the beach I was happy to report when asked where I was from that I lived here. I was able to take advantage of the beach/ocean until it simply became too cold to enjoy. I spent time with my children on the sand long after the tourists had come and gone. I remember looking around this island and seeing very few lights on, the island now belonging to it's residents.

Looking upon the shore last evening and seeing it flooded with visitors I felt a sadness because I knew, like them, my time would end shortly. I wouldn't be here when the tourist season dies down and a wonderful calmness falls upon the island. I will miss the quiet days upon the shoreline with the kids. I will miss my spot.

The kids have also voiced their sorrow in missing this place. My girls are truly beach bum babies. They feel at home in the waves, still unsure of these crazy pools we must visit in WV for water fun. They keep insisting that we can stay with daddy. The house won't miss us they insist.

As much as I miss my ocean home I know that we are needed in WV. Sometimes being needed is just as important as liking where you live. The kids and I are still adjusting to life in the mountains but we know that once all 5 of us are in WV life will begin to feel more like home.

Until then we will enjoy the few days with our ocean and savor the moments with Sean. Hopefully within less than a month we will all live in the same state.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those girls better not be knocking on our F/C pool. I mean it's like state of the art!!! JP Hope you're enjoying "your"ocean. :O) Miss you guys.

A-