Thursday, April 19, 2007

Standing Beside Our Neighbors

As many I watched as the horror unfolded at Virginia Tech. At first I was just dumbfounded…could they really be talking about Virginia Tech…I've been there…I know that place…I had friends who went to school there….attended football and basketball games there….they must be mistaken. It felt so close to home that it couldn't possibly be true.

As more and more news came out about this terrible situation I realized this was no mistake and the full terror of the situation began to sink in. I immediately called family. I'm not entirely sure why…none of them were there or even in the area but this was happening "just over the mountain" as a West Virginian might say. This was our neighbors they were talking about. I just wanted to make sure my family was okay, knowing all the while they were fine.

The problem was…our neighbors were not okay and I felt powerless to help them. I was torn between continuing to watch the television and wanting so badly to just get away from it. I didn't know any of the victims or their families and haven't been on the campus in years but still it felt like it was taking place in my backyard. I just wanted so much for the news to be wrong but the death toll just kept climbing and the horror just seemed to grow.

My heart goes out to these students, professors, and all their family and friends. I don't know how you get beyond this…how you begin to feel safe again but I'm sure these people will show amazing strength as they already have. The situation just raises so many questions and even more fears. Is there any way to truly feel safe after this? Is there anything else the university could have done? Could this have been prevented?

Maybe I'm naïve but how do you reach so many students coming from so many different directions? How do you shut down a campus? How do you keep everyone safe? It's been mentioned that if nothing else the fire alarms should have been pulled so the students/professors would know something was going on. In reality, I don't see this helping. How often in school have you heard the fire alarms and reacted in panic or fear?

It's also been mentioned that emails should have been sent sooner…how about commuters? Do all students check their email before heading to an 8am class? When you awake to start your day and everything seems fine why would you check the campus television or email to make sure everything was fine?
I guess the police could have barricaded every entrance so commuters couldn't have gotten on campus but even that takes time. I guess looking back on the situation many people smarter than I will see what could have been done or done better but even with the best laid plans there seems to be loop holes for those that truly wish to create problems.

As much as I feel pity, sorrow, and confusion concerning the shooter I still place the blame upon his shoulders. He chose his actions. Yes, he was disturbed but it was his actions that created the situation. These students, faculty, and administration were put face to face with great fear and to judge how any of us or they should react when faced with such fear seems at best irrelevant and at worst unhelpful, again maybe I'm just naïve. It's said often that hind sight is 20/20 and the only thing any of us can do is learn from the past and work towards the future.

I'm sure the school/university systems will undertake some changes in hopes to make them safer or at least make those attending feel safer. In the end, only so much can be done and pointing fingers just serves to tear down the community so many are in need of.

My thoughts, prayers, and heart goes out to all those affected. I hope they find peace and understanding. I hope our neighbors are able to rise from the ashes stronger than ever not allowing this to define them.

No comments: